Thursday, October 26, 2006

Past Posting Thursday

So new blogger Gwen blogged a bit about Bebe and I commented about the time I met Chita Rivera. Well, I found an old post on an old blog about that night, so I thought I'd post it.

1/25/06
Okay. I saw Chita Rivera, The Dancer's Life last night. This was my second time seeing this legend in her autobiographical Broadway show. Why, you ask, would I need to see this show for a second time? Well, the answer is Dick van Dyke. I got to see two legends on a Broadway stage, together. It was amazing to say the least. Chita and Dick worked together on Broadway in the musical, Bye Bye Birdie. Dick came out onto the stage and was given the entrance applause he truly deserved. He then danced and sang the well-known song from Bye Bye Birdie, Put on a Happy Face. He was adorable, and he's 82! Then the two danced and sang Rosie. Adorable. Dick van Dyke received an amazing standing ovation that swept through the theatre. One lady in the front row stood and it was like when a crowd at a sports arena does the wave. We all leapt to our feet. We waited outside at the stage door, hoping Dick and Chita would sign our playbills. We waited. And waited. And waited. Finally, Dick van Dyke came out, smiled, waved, posed for a few pictures and got into his car. No autographs. Sad, but understandable. Luckily, when Chita came out, she was very attentive to the fans (still) waiting. She came up to sign my playbill and I remarked, "You look hot." Her reply was, "Oooh, I like that." Then as she was signing she said, "soo cute." So, that's that. I saw an American icon, Dick van Dyke sing and dance with a Broadway legend Chita Rivera, who thinks I'm "soo cute." I'd say that's one for the books.

3 comments:

Darla said...

I lubve it!

Macoosh said...

this is me....jealous.

rosie is my fav. song ever. i want the man who wants to marry me to sing it to me and i'll sit on his knee and he'll pop the ring on my finger.

it'll never happen. sigh...

-macoosh:)

GMEyster said...

Chita and Bebe: a Velma Nation.